Powered By Blogger

Write-up in The New Straits Times, 24 Oct, 2010

How would it feel to tuck into fine Malay cuisine served on centuries-old Ming and Qing dynasty ceramics? INTAN MAIZURA AHMAD KAMAL finds out
OOPS, there I go again! I really must perfect the art of slicing into my food very, very carefully.


After all, I’m not in some kopitiam tucking into standard kopitiam fare on standard kopitiam ware.


No, this is more classy. A five-course dinner of fine Malay cuisine (who’d have thought there was such a thing?) served on centuries-old Ming and Qing dynasty ceramics in the classy and cosy comfort of Enak KL somehow required a little more panache.
“Don’t worry, it won’t get scratched,” reassures a smiling Karen Loh from NMA marketing, the party responsible for bringing in the antique ware.


Noting my hesitation and feeble attempt at slicing into my chicken for fear I would scratch the surface of the antique serving plate, she reassured me: “If it has survived all these years, I’m sure it’ll survive more than just that. It’s from the Desaru shipwreck, circa 1830, by the way!”




Read more: Heritage: Past perfect http://www.nst.com.my/nst/articles/Heritage_Pastperfect/Article#ixzz13Kp35Ul0
http://www.nst.com.my/nst/articles/Heritage_Pastperfect/Article